Tuesday, March 5, 2013

{DIY: Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit}



Better late than never...right???  It is a well know fact that I loathed our yellow bathtub, shower and counter tops.  They were seriously the bane of my existence.  However, our tight budget on the bathroom renovations did not allow for us to replace them.  So, we got crafty, did some research and found the  Rust-Oleum 1 Qt. White Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit.  These kits allow you to refinish the bathroom surfaces with a durable, high gloss epoxy acrylic paint.  We watched tons of Youtube how-to videos and read about a thousand reviews before we pulled the trigger and purchased the kits from Home Depot.  They are not currently available in store, so you can check them out HERE.  We are trying to take care of both bathrooms at the same time (crazy, I know).  We ended up purchasing four kits, which have taken care of a bathtub, shower stall, and 2 counter tops.  We were able to take care of 2 coats on all surfaces.  I would have liked to do a third coat for good measure, but we needed a functioning bathroom ASAP.  So, if needed, we can always go back and add that last coat.

Here is the process that worked for us:

Step 1: Clean, Clean, Clean!  We used a hefty dose of Comet to get a really good clean on all of the surfaces.

Step 2: Give the surfaces a good sanding with a fine grit sand paper.  According to Kevin, this was his least favorite part, but it makes a BIG difference in the end result.

Step 3: Pull out the painters tape and tape off all of the surfaces.  If this product gets on your walls or cabinets, it's not coming off any time soon.  Be sure to secure the tape, and you should be good to go.


Step 4: Mix the materials as instructed on the box.  FYI - the smell is pretty intense.  We are fortunate and have an attic fan.  We did this on a nice, warmer day, so we were able to turn it on and cut back on the fumes.  If you have children, you may want to get them out of the house for the day, open the windows and wear a surgical mask.  Seriously...it's tough to take in.  The smell doesn't stick around for too long, though.

Step 5: Start painting the first coat.  We used a foam roller and foam brushes for a more even finish.  I was a little wary after we finished the first coat.  I seemed a little spotty, and like the coverage wasn't going to be great or even.  The first coat dries super quick, so you do not have to wait a long time to start on the second coat...maybe 1 to 2 hours.

  
Step 6: It's time for the second coat of paint.  This will make all the difference in the world!  Once the second coat goes on, you will forget about the crazy color of your old tub or tile or counter top.  It's like magic!

Step 7: We let this paint dry overnight...just to make sure.

Step 8: Remove the painters tape.  Kevin used an x-acto knife to do this.  We wanted the edges to be sharp, so we didn't just rip it off the walls, like we tend to do with regular wall paint.  It was a tedious and careful task, but the edges turned out perfectly!

Here are the after photos of the bathtub and counter top:


REVIEW:  The Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing Kit was awesome!  The price is great and we are very pleased with the results.  Are the surfaces 100% perfect?  No, there are a few spots where bubbles dried in the paint.  But, those are few and far between.  Honestly, I don't think you could notice, unless you did a detailed inspection.  I will do an update in a few months to let y'all know how it is holding up.  Fingers crossed!!!

COST: $103.88 (4 units @ $25.97 each + free shipping)

31 comments:

  1. Hi there! My name is Heather and I found this post because I have been considering using this product on my tub and tile and I'm trying to do some research. We don't have the means to renovate, but I'm pretty tired of the blue bathroom from the 60's. I have read some reviews that the product looks great for a few weeks and then starts to peel. Are your bathrooms still holding up?? Or do you notice peeling? Also, how long did you have to wait before resuming normal use of your tub/shower? We only have one bathroom, so I'm concerned about not having the ability to shower :-\ Thank you for sharing your experience with the Rust-Oleum product!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @hmills812 - We did this project in February, and have not noticed any peeling or chipping, and we did a shower/tub combo, shower stall, and 2 countertops. My hubby watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to best apply the product. Sanding before is key. We really sanded everything down well before we started the process. We also did a light sanding in between each coat. We may do one more coat on everything soon, but only because there are little spots that we missed with the second coat. I am such a type A, so that will make me crazy! As far as the wait time goes, I believe it is 3 days. Not ideal, but it's a much better alternative than forking over a ton of money on a reno...or living with an oddly colored bathroom. I soooo feel your pain on that one! I hope this helps, Heather. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just started on this project, and I'm at the sanding stage. I've gone over my ugly blue tiles quite a few times with 400 sandpaper and a sander, but it doesn't look like it's doing anything!!! My tiles are still glossy. It's freaking me out because I really want this to turn out nicely. Is this normal? Should I just keep going? Or am I doing something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I'm am at this stage and I am having the same problem. How did you manage to figure it out ?

      Delete
    2. Hello, I'm am at this stage and I am having the same problem. How did you manage to figure it out ?

      Delete
    3. Yeah i had to buy a primer. You can but it in a hardware store. They (the hardware store) said it's pointless trying to sand the tiles.

      The primer worked at treat.

      Delete
    4. Yeah i had to buy a primer. You can but it in a hardware store. They (the hardware store) said it's pointless trying to sand the tiles.

      The primer worked at treat.

      Delete
    5. It's wet sanding everyone. The idea isn't to make it dull like when refinishing painted wood. It's to make it 100% smooth. Wet sand a spot whil applying good pressure for at least 10 seconds, then wipe it clean with a dry towel, now run your finger over the spot you sanded and the unsanded spot next to it without picking up your finger, the sanded spot will feel SUPER smooth like there's baby powder on it almost. Your finger will slighty stick on the unsanded spot. You'll completely understand once you've done it right. My fiance taught me this - he's a builder so he's been there done that!!

      Delete
  4. I used a similar kit bought from refinishingonline.com the difference was it is a one part (no mixing) and came with a bonding agent primer, steel wool and gloves. The bonding agent was the key for me after talking with some professionals they said if you are going to use a DIY kit it should have a bonding component like the pros use. Looks great after 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How is this holding up for you? I'm thinking about doing it in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did ours and it held up for about 15 years before starting to yellow and peel. Just did it again this week and it looks brand new again

      Delete
  6. Other epoxy products I have used have hardened up fairly quickly....after 6 - 10 minutes or so. I assume this isn't a problem with this product? Also, if you are doing two coats, did you use 1/2 the base and 1/2 the activator, then use the other 1/2's to do the second coat? Also, did you bleach, Comet, Lime-Away, THEN sand? Your finished tub looks great.....quite an inspiration. Thanks for blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The workers of Daddy bathtub repairhave given me satisfactory services. They have completely removes the old color of my bathtub and then gave it a beautiful and my favorite color. Now my bathtub is having the luster just as the new one. They used some chemicals for the complete process and made my bathtub shiny and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A tub refinished by Better Solutions will look and feel like anew porcelain tub. Because Tuff tub refinishing unlike other refinishers uses the strongest acid free bonding agent on the market today. We then buff and polish the tub which brings out the gloss and ensures it is smooth to the touch like porcelain.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this guide on refinishing the bathroom facilities! Resurfacing a bathtub can make all the difference in the world- it is good to see such a great guide. Thanks again- I'll be sure to follow this!

    Seth Ashford | http://baystaterefinishing.com/refinishing/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I really need to do a refinishing job on my bathtub, but instead of going the D.I.Y. route I am going to hire a company in Sacramento to do this for me. I enjoyed the step by step with the photos. http://newsurface.net/sacramento-resurfacing-reglazing.php

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes those diy kits do not hold up very well! Glad you had success as I did not found some good information on this subject at http://porcelaincoatings.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes those diy kits do not hold up very well! Glad you had success as I did not found some good information on this subject at http://porcelaincoatings.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you again for posting on product information when you need to resurface your bathtub. I am still looking at options in the Sacramento area.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the tips! It seems really helpful to have a step by step guide for refinishing bathroom tiles. It's also good to know what kinds of materials I would need to use when refinishing my bathroom tiles. These tips will help me know how to get the job done myself easily enough. Thanks for posting!
    http://www.bathtubrefinishingbostonma.com/about-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you again for sharing. Do you have additional advice for fixing chips and cracks? I am looking at resurfacing options in the Sacramento area, and would like to avoid installing a new tub. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, first of all thanks for the blog. I have searched many times for bathroom renovation. But finally I think this product will work. Thanks for sharing


    tile refinishing

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi. I am using this product and following the instructions very carefully. I have tried to sand the tiles but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I have 400 grit and it's not taking anything off the tiles.

    Should I noticeably see that the tile has a rough surface prior to painting?

    Great blog post by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok. I'm getting ready, and had a question. After comet and bleach, I still see staining on the bottom of my acrylic shower. Is this normal?

    ReplyDelete
  19. AZ Reglazing is a company that offers the services of bath and tile refinishing. Prices are rather affordable for everyone. In course of time even the most qualitative bathtubs, sink and tile become old-fashioned and covered by stains or scratches. Replacement is extremely expensive measure so most people can’t afford it. Moreover replacement is connected with time wasting and chaos. AZ Reglazing suggests perfect alternative. For more info visit AZ Reglazing Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing such a nice article along with full of info on Tub and Tile Refinishing. Today I am feeling happy that some days ago I have hired JLF Tub and Tile Reglazing for Bathtub Refinishing and I found some of your points and the best things they have applied during bathtub refinishing. But I highly appreciated your article and information about Tub and Tile Refinishing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bathtub refinishing is worth the money if your tub is in good working condition. The Tub Refinishing Austinprocess can remove surface imperfections, like scratches, shallow cracks, and stains. But if your tub is old, leaking, or full of mold, reglazing is just a waste of money. You'll have to buy a new tub soon anyway. But the Rust-Oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit can be used on ceramic, porcelain, fiberglass, and acrylic. Rinse the surface thoroughly with fresh water to remove all residue. Allow the surface to dry for at least 90 minutes before applying paint. Wipe the surface with a tack cloth immediately before painting to remove any remaining dust and lint.

    ReplyDelete